BAKED REUBEN CASSEROLE
• 6 slices rye bread [dark or light] divided use.
• 1 pound thinly sliced pastrami or corned beef divided use.
• 1 [14.5 ounce] can or jar sauerkraut drained well.
• 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese divided use.
• 2 Teaspoons caraway seeds divided use.
• 1 cup chopped dill pickles.
• 1 cup milk.
• 3 large eggs beaten.
• 1/3 cup thousand island dressing.
• 1/4 cup mustard.
-Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Spray 11 × 7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Take four slices of rye bread and cut them into 2 – inch cubes.
-Place remaining slices of rye bread into food processor and pulse into fine breadcrumbs and set aside.
-Spread cubed bread into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
-Cover evenly with half of the pastrami.
-Then evenly top with drained sauerkraut, chopped pickles and 1 Teaspoon. caraway seeds.
-Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese on top of sauerkraut layer.
-Next, top with remaining pastrami. I gently push down to help compact it all a bit.
-Sprinkle remaining 2 cups Swiss cheese and 1 Teaspoon. caraway seeds on top of pastrami.
-In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, thousand island dressing and mustard.
-Pour mixture evenly over the casserole.
-Top with breadcrumbs.
-Cover with foil.
-Bake for 45minutes.
-Remove from oven, let rest for 5minutes then slice and serve.
Follow me on Pinterest !